9 Ideas for Children at Weddings
How do you make your special celebration fun and entertaining for little people? The key is some careful planning, genuine involvement and lots of fun. Nine great ideas for having happy and well behaved children at weddings include:
- Set up a kids table with loads of activities. As a starting point, contact us for the cute wedding themed children’s activity books. These are a great distraction for children and include a wedding-themed maze, colouring in activities, join-the-dots, a word find and a wedding specific scavenger hunt. These suit a range of ages and feature a bride and groom theme for traditional weddings. They can also be ordered to feature same sex couples.
- Provide a Lego station or a toy box filled with wooden blocks, puzzles and board games.
- Set up a ball-pit for toddlers or a photo-booth with funny dress-ups and disposable cameras for older children.
- Include children in a positive way by giving them a purpose. Have them organize and practice a play, song or dance for the big day. You could even hand over the dance-floor for a short time and let them dance up a storm to a few Moana or Frozen songs.
- If the budget allows, the hiring of a babysitter will take the load off parents and ensure the children are entertained during the wedding. The minder could look after the children at the wedding or somewhere nearby.
- Another option is to hire an entertainer such as a magician, balloon modeler, storyteller or clown.
- For older children having a movie room or games station could also be a way to keep boredom at bay.
- When it comes to food, catering for children can help avoid meltdowns and tantrums. You could provide a small kids buffet with kid friendly finger-foods and kids cocktails.
- Outdoors weddings make things easier as children can make more noise and run off energy. Set up some games on the lawn like ring-toss, croquet, lawn bowls, outdoor jenga, hopscotch or even a bubble station.